Vision of the Research & Media Unit
The life source of the Sri Lankan culture and tradition is the autonomous Visual and Performing art. It is a timely requirement to produce a numerical record of the past and present characteristics of local artists. The contributions of the academic researchers are much required in initiating such a task. The Research and Media Unit hence renders its contribution to achieve the above objective with the use of video technology influenced by cinema and television media.
Goals of Research & Media Unit
It is one of our main goals to preserve the history of visual and performing arts of native tradition including new creations with the use of modern technology and to preserve them for the future use. Also one of our primary intensions is to document subject methodology and technology of the native arts along with the data and information of the artists who have protected and preserved the arts for generations.
The Course of Research & Media Unit
To cater to the need of a Media unit for the Faculty of Dance & Drama in the University of the Visual & Performing Arts, the Research & Media Unit was established in 2008.It was pioneered by the Vice Chancellor Senior Professor Jayasena Kottegoda. This unit aims to develop research expertise of the scholars and aims to provide the scholars with a learning environment to acquire modern knowledge. Since its establishment, the Research & Media Unit has been providing its assistance to the academic staff and the undergraduates of the university to conduct their autonomous studies and researchers. At present, the Media Unit possesses the leading accession of preservations related to local dance. In addition, the Media and Research Unit is developing as the only University Media Unit for Visual & Performing Arts that is open for reference. The Research & Media Unit has now opened a library that consists of CDs of Cinema, and other creative work.
Facilities of Research & Media Unit
- Facilities for graphics and 3D animations
- Video filming and Rerun
- Facilities for Video Editing
- Documentaries and short films
- Educational Programmes
- Research programmes and visual media activities
Services provided by the Research & Media Unit
- Preserve information regarding traditional native visual and performing arts and conserve for future use.
- Promote native traditional art forms and new creative art forms among foreign researchers and hence to obtain international recognition for the native art forms.
- To make the media aware of the researchers and other work related to art organized by the university.
- To disseminate information and provide an opportunity for the reference of materials of the Unit.
- Cover various functions including awarding ceremonies; subject oriented workshops and various concerts and performances.
- Design leaflets and design advertising mechanisms that present information in print or electronic medium.
- It is one of our main goals to preserve the history of visual and performing arts of native tradition including new creations with the use of modern technology and to preserve them for the future use. Also one of our primary intensions is to document subject methodology and technology of the native arts along with the data and information of the artists who have protected and preserved the arts for generations.
Future plans and tasks
- Fully equipped modern video editing studio and gallery
- To conduct external degree courses in Cinema and Television software, Video Dance, and Graphic Designing.
- Direct scholars for technical trainings in the audio and visual medium subject field
- Plan television programmes, media coverage and advertising concepts for Government and non-governmental institutions.